Sunday, July 4, 2010

Diary of a Scribe Day 4: The Holiday Edition

Ok. I haven't done a MASSIVE amount of work. I'm just freaking exhausted. But I've got a good chunk of chapter 4 written...Finally the hero and heroine are in the same room. They haven't said anything to one another, but they are aware of each other's presence.

This is the story that is a sequel to the one I've finished. I don't want it to be a carbon copy of the first, Maybe This Time, but the way it is set up, I can't help a little carbon copy, explaining it away as tradition so it isn't forced...You'd have to read the first to get it...

Anyway, I don't type up the first draft. The second draft comes after I've taken pen to notebook paper...It drives me crazy if I don't have that control. I don't know if it would be any different if I had a laptop...maybe then when ideas hit me wherever I was, I could just get them in a data bank and retrieve them later...If I use pen and paper I usually lose the note or scene...

Is this too old school? Should I change my methods? Do YOU have an idea that could wean me from this practice? How about any favorite writing exercises? I can't think of a single one other than Brainstorming, but that's what my outlines are for.

What is going to make me a great writer? One thing that I think will help is having a decent pre-publication editing team, a team of readers for pleasure who also have an eye for details...or maybe a writer with enough work under their belt to offer a criticism? I want to get my stuff out there, and am not exactly sure about how to do that aside from hitting up the publishing houses. I bet it would help if I did more research, but seven things at a time, people, I'm only one woman. But if anyone wants to sign on as part of my editing team, you just let me know.

Back to chapter 4...it's lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment